NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
NOJHL NETWORK MEDIA UPDATE
Release Date: Monday, Jan. 23, 2017
Voodoos 4th, Thunderbirds 20th in latest CJHL rankings; Crunch earn honourable mention
SUDBURY, Ont. – The Canadian Junior Hockey League announced their latest Top 20 rankings Monday and the Powassan Voodoos and Soo Thunderbirds joined the Cochrane Crunch among Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League clubs that were recognized.
The Voodoos were tabbed fourth overall in the 132-team CJHL while the Thunderbirds were slotted 20th and the Crunch garnered honourable mention status.
Heading into their home game tonight vs. the French River Rapids remain in top spot overall in the NOJHL standings with a league-best 70 points and a 34-5-1-1 record. They are also tops in winning percentage at .854.
The West Division-leading Thunderbirds boast 61 points and a 30-11-1-0 mark and a win percentage of .726.
Cochrane have won four straight and have 61 points to their credit sporting a 28-11-4-1 record through 44 outings with a win mark of .693.
There was no change among the top five in the CJHL this week as the Georgetown Raiders (OJHL), Brooks Bandits (AJHL), Collège Français de Longueuil (LHJQ) and Steinbach Pistons staying at No. 1, 2, 3 and 5 respectively.
The following is the latest CJHL Top 20 rankings:
CJHL TOP 20 (As of Jan. 23, 2017)
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) (1)
2. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (2)
3. Collège Français de Longueuil (LHJQ) (3)
4. Powassan Voodoos (NOJHL) (4)
5. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (5)
6. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (7)
7. Les Cobras de Terrebonne (LHJQ) (6)
8. Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) (8)
9. Wenatchee Wild (BCHL) (9)
10. Dryden GM Ice Dogs (SIJHL) (10)
11. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (12)
12. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (11)
13. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (14)
14. Pictou County Weeks Crushers (MHL) (17)
15. Whitby Fury (OJHL) (13)
16. Winkler Flyers (MJHL) (18)
17. Whitecourt Wolverines (AJHL) (15)
18. Ottawa Jr. ‘A’ Senators (CCHL) (19)
19. Chilliwack Chiefs (BCHL) (20)
20. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (16)
Honourable Mention: Cochrane Crunch (NOJHL); Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL); Flin Flon Bombers (SJHL); Selkirk Steelers (MJHL); Cobourg Cougars (OJHL)
ABOUT THE CJHL TOP 20 RANKINGS
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 132 teams and over 3,000 players and has just as many former players furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com and follow on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.