NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
NOJHL NETWORK MEDIA UPDATE
Release Date: Monday, Dec. 5, 2016
Red-hot Powassan moves to 5th in CJHL rankings; Soo Thunderbirds earn honourable mention
SUDBURY – The latest edition of the Canadian Junior Hockey League’s Top 20 rankings is out and the red-hot Powassan Voodoos, winners of 20 consecutive contests, along with the suddenly surging Soo Thunderbirds both garnered attention.
Leading the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League standings with an impressive 55 points, Powassan moved up one notch in the weekly listings to No. 5 in the 132-team CJHL while Sault Ste. Marie earned honourable mention status.
Boasting a record of 27-3-1-0 through 31 games, the Voodoos currently have a 12-point cushion over the 21-7-1-0 Thunderbirds, who have reeled off six straight wins, in the quest for the NOJHL’s regular season title.
Powassan enters play this week sporting a league-best .887 winning percentage, while the Soo, who hold two games in hand on the Voodoos, boast a .741 win mark.
Collège Français de Longueuil (LHJAAAQ) remains No. 1 in the CJHL for yet another week while the Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) jumped to No. 2 nationally and the 2017 Dudley-Hewitt Cup host Trenton Golden Hawks stay at No. 3 overall.
The following are the latest CJHL Top 20 rankings:
CJHL TOP 20 (As of Dec. 5, 2016)
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Collège Français de Longueuil (LHJAAAQ) (1)
2. Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) (4)
3. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (3)
4. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (2)
5. Powassan Voodoos (NOJHL) (6)
6. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (7)
7. Wenatchee Wild (BCHL) (9)
8. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (11)
9. Les Cobras de Terrebonne (LHJAAAQ) (5)
10. Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) (10)
11. Cobourg Cougars (OJHL) (13)
12. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (14)
13. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (15)
14. Whitecourt Wolverines (AJHL) (18)
15. Bonnyville Pontiacs (AJHL) (HM)
16. Estevan Bruins (SJHL) (HM)
17. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (16)
18. Dryden GM Ice Dogs (SIJHL) (20)
19. Pictou County Weeks Crushers (MHL) (19)
20. Ottawa Jr. ‘A’ Senators (CCHL) (NR)
Honourable Mention: Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL); Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL); Winkler Flyers (MJHL); Whitby Fury (OJHL); Yarmouth Jr. ‘A’ Mariners (MHL)
ABOUT THE CJHL TOP 20 RANKINGS
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 132 teams and over 3,000 players and has just as many former players furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com and follow on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.