NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
NOJHL NETWORK MEDIA UPDATE
Release Date: Monday, Feb. 20, 2017
Voodoos, Thunderbirds stay in CJHL rankings; Crunch earn honourable mention
SUDBURY, Ont. – The Canadian Junior Hockey League released its weekly Top 20 rankings Monday and the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League’s Powassan Voodoos and Soo Thunderbirds cracked the listings once again as they were tabbed eighth and 14th respectively while the Cochrane Crunch maintained their honourable mention status.
Powassan, who clinched the NOJHL East Division title over the weekend, boasts a league-best 82 points and a solid 40-7-1-1 record. They are also 8-2 in their last 10 contests.
Surging Sault Ste. Marie has secured yet another NOJHL West Division crown and has gone unbeaten in their past 10 games, winning nine and tying one as they improved to 37-11-1-1 on the season.
Meanwhile Cochrane, has posted 12 victories in their past 14 outings, have had another solid campaign as they sit with 75 points and a 35-13-4-1 record to date.
There was no change among the top four sides in the CJHL this week with the Brooks Bandits (AJHL), Georgetown Raiders (OJHL), Les Cobras de Terrebonne (LHJAAAQ) and Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) sitting one through four in that order.
The Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) jumped two spots into the No. 5 slot this week.
The following is the latest CJHL Top 20 rankings:
CJHL TOP 20 (As of Feb. 20, 2017)
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (1)
2. Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) (2)
3. Les Cobras de Terrebonne (LHJAAAQ) (3)
4. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (4)
5. Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) (7)
6. Collège Français de Longueuil (LHJQ) (5)
7. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (8)
8. Powassan Voodoos (NOJHL) (6)
9. Wenatchee Wild (BCHL) (10)
10. Dryden GM Ice Dogs (SIJHL) (9)
11. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (13)
12. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (11)
13. Chilliwack Chiefs (BCHL) (12)
14. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (16)
15. Cobourg Cougars (OJHL) (15)
16. Winkler Flyers (MJHL) (18)
17. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (19)
18. Whitecourt Wolverines (AJHL) (17)
19. Pictou County Weeks Crushers (MHL) (14)
20. Flin Flon Bombers (SJHL) (20)
Honourable Mention: Cochrane Crunch (NOJHL); Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL); Burlington Cougars (OJHL); Ottawa Jr. ‘A’ Senators (CCHL); Cornwall Colts (CCHL)
ABOUT THE CJHL TOP 20 RANKINGS
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 132 teams and over 3,000 players and has just as many former players furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For latest CJHL news and features, visit cjhlhockey.com and follow on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.